Monday, July 12, 2010

stumbleupon. exercises. fiction.

given that it is 1AM, everyone in the house is asleep, and i just stumbled upon these writing exercises, i thought i'd try them out. i am, after all, a creative writing major...

The only plausible name for this exercise would be the Nathaniel Hawthorne sentence:
  • Write the first 250 words of a short story, but write them in ONE SENTENCE. Make sure that the sentence is grammatically correct and punctuated correctly. This exercise is intended to increase your powers in sentence writing.
Walking through park that I had neglected to revisit for so many years, listening to my heels click against the rainy concrete ground, I could not help but think about the role of every blade of glass or every tree or, for that matter, every leaf that hung on for dear life from the trees, fighting the strength of the record breaking winds that were sweeping the Los Angeles county.

70 words and a really shitty sentence AND story. I'm going to take this one step at a time.

No comments: